Sunday, October 25, 2015

The "Quez"

I teach at a public high school.  I am the chorus teacher.  I also have been called upon to teach beginning keyboard and World Music.  Last year, I had a student in my beginning keyboard class named Donquez.  This kid was a sophomore at the time and came to me with quite a bit of sass and attitude.  I spent the entire year trying to build into this student an "attitude of gratitude" in place of what he was slinging around in my classroom.  He left at the end of the year and never looked back.  I watched him as he walked down the hallway in June.  As he walked away, I was left with the perceived impression that he hated me.  I am certain he thought the same of me.  I figured I'd never see him in one of my classes again and resigned myself to the fact that "what's done is done" and I needed to focus my attention on the ones who are teachable, so that both teacher and student feel good about what we are learning in the classroom.

Fast-forward to 2015-16.  All faculty and staff were given the opportunity to "Adopt a Senator" from the football team.  Some of these guys love the game, but struggle in the classroom.  We were told that a list would be published and we could choose the one we wanted, as long as no one else had chosen that student.  Our task was to follow the student through the football season and make sure they were meeting the demands of playing a sport and staying on top of things academically.  We were given their class schedules with a list of their teachers so we could check on them.  We were given a jersey with their number on the front and their name on the back.  We were also given a Certificate of Adoption, which I proudly displayed on my white board at the front of the classroom.  I jumped on this opportunity.  I chose Donquez.

The day he showed up in my classroom with his academic schedule, I smiled.  I said, "See...you thought I hated you, but I don't."  He did not know what to think about my purposeful decision to choose him.  I checked on him at mid-term and he was doing well in every class but math.  I told him I wanted a grade no lower than a "C." He said he would try.  He popped into my classroom every Friday to see me.  He had a really great game one night and his picture landed on the front page of the local newspaper.  I cut it out, decorated it and laminated it.  I personally walked it out to the driver's ed range to hand-deliver it.  He was astounded.

When he got hurt two weeks ago and spent the rest of the game with an ice pack strapped to his knee, I was there.  He showed up on Monday with his crutches.  He wanted me to know he was o.k.

Our football season is almost over.  Our last home game was played Friday night.  We lost.  There is no hope of a district championship this year, but reaching out to this kid has brought me hope.  I pray I made a difference in his life.  Life lesson learned...never give up on a kid.  Any kid.


"The Quez" and me

Until next time...

No comments: