Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Move Over Mozart!

Today, I experienced an astounding performance by a student of mine in my very own classroom.

Noah is playing in an adjudicated piano competition this weekend and asked if I would allow him to perform his pieces for the class.  Since we were between the fall concert and the holiday show, it was the perfect time for him to do so.

I knew this student had skill on the keys, but I had absolutely no idea this young man could play the piano at this level.  He has been working on the Beethoven piece for two years.  The others, for six months or more.  I am sorry, but I see very few 17-year olds with that kind of dedication to their craft - whatever it may be.  Those of us who were listening and watching were left feeling overwhelmed at the conclusion of his performance.  There were mistakes made, but the ratio of right notes to wrong notes was on the correct side of the colon.  He played with energy and and he played from his heart.

I was breathless when he finished and uncontrollable tears were streaming down my face.  I had absolutely no idea this level of talent lived in my classroom.  I told him that when he purchased his "coat, tie and tails," to please remember me.

 



















No comments: