Sunday, October 25, 2015

Personal Steam Inhaler

So I'm a vocal coach and every now and again, I come down with something that negatively impacts my ability to phonate (produce sound) from my larynx.  That is problematic for someone in my field.  

When I was living in Southern California, I kept getting sick.  Whatever the creature was that latched onto me, it always landed in my respiratory system.  Tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throat, sinus infections galore.  After further research, I discovered that moisture in the airways keeps bacteria and viruses from multiplying and spreading, wreaking havoc with your vocal mechanism.  Drinking gallons of water keeps cells hydrated and is necessary for optimum cellular function. I'm no doctor, but I began to see where the root of my problem lay.

The weather is extremely dry in So Cal and I'm a Florida girl where we are drowning in humidity much of the year.  Once I realized what was causing me so much grief, I purchased a cool mist humidifier and ran it nightly in my bedroom so I could sleep.  This also helped relieve the "lizard skin" that had overtaken my entire body.

At that time, my sister was singing in New York and had discovered the Vick's Personal Steam Inhaler.  She said it had helped immensely and that I should try it.  She sent me one for my birthday decades ago.  She would be glad to know that I still use it when the respiratory bug hits.  I've been sick for the past 5 days and am still feeling pretty miserable. I am steaming my sinuses, pharynx and larynx several times a day.  I have not yet turned the corner, but am certain I am farther along than I would have been without the infamous "vocal steam machine."

Today is my sister's birthday and I felt compelled to write a blog post in honor of her special day.  We are forever connected by this little piece of equipment.  (BTW, I checked at WalMart last week and they still have them on the shelf...)

Keep a box of tissues handy when using this gizmo.  It will definitely open up your sinuses and bring relief from the misery all of us have experienced at one time or another.

Happy Birthday, little sister!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gurin Steam inhaler is now on Amazon's Choice buy best steam inhaler from amazon marketplace in the USA.