Monday, December 28, 2015

"Teaching Music" Article

Back in September, I received an e-mail from a junior editor at "Teaching Music" magazine who had stumbled upon a lesson I created back in 2010 and posted here on my blog.  He said he was fascinated by the fact that I used literature to teach rhythmic patterns to young children and wanted to interview me.  He stated that if his senior editor liked the piece, it would appear in the January, 2016 edition of the magazine.

Well...lo and behold...the magazine arrived in the mail last week and the interview appears on page 55 of the magazine.  This is a publication of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) and is published quarterly and distributed to all members of the organization.  This is a big deal for a music educator who is a very small fish in a really large pond.  Had it not been for my blog, this would never have come to pass.  [Thank you, Melanie Holtsman!!]

I am grateful to Paul Sigrist for contacting me and allowing me to elaborate on a lesson I created for use in my classroom 5 years ago.  I am no longer teaching elementary music, but my legacy lives on and it is truly humbling to know that I have made a difference - not only in the lives of children, but also with my colleagues from across this great nation who will read the article and, hopefully, implement this lesson into their own elementary music classrooms.  Happy Rhythmic Reading!!



Until next time...

No comments: