Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Martin Gui

Last week, I had the privilege of hosting a lovely young man from Shanghai, China.  His name is Martin Gui.

Martin Gui, Conductor

He is the Resident Conductor of the Shanghai Children's Radio Chorus and was in Jacksonville to attend the American Choral Director Association's "Southern Division" conference.  Martin was in the audience on Friday, February 28th when my choirs performed at Mandarin High School for the Florida Vocal Association's Music Performance Assessment.  He enjoyed listening to choirs from Duval and St. John's County and was impressed with their professionalism and musicality.

Martin was part of a "Conductor's Exchange" through ACDA and visited several area schools including La Villa School of the Arts, Mandarin High School, Fletcher High School and the Jacksonville Children's Chorus.  He taught a simple song in Chinese to my Ladies' Chamber Chorus and did a presentation for my World Music students on ethnic Chinese instruments.

Martin with Ladies' Chamber Chorus

Chinese sheet music - notice text is in Chinese characters

Mrs. Tamburrino and Martin Gui

My students greatly enjoyed this cross cultural experience and learned a lot about Chinese schools, food and culture during his visit.  Maybe one day I can return the favor in Shanghai.

3/17/14 - I heard from Martin today.

Hi Dee Dee,
I got the photos, I still looked for you at those days [ACDA conference]. Now I'm in Shanghai, start my works. Thank you for your kindness , I got very nice time in your class, hope we can meet again.
Best Wishes
Martin

Until next time...

No comments: