Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Chart of Awesomeness"

You may think this is simply a pocket chart with twenty rhythmic reading flash cards hanging on it.  Maybe in another music teacher's classroom it is.  However, in Mrs. Tamburrino's general music classroom, it has affectionately been dubbed "The Chart of Awesomeness."  

Mrs. Tamburrino's "Chart of Awesomeness"

A former fifth grader decided that's what the rhythmic reading chart should be called and the name stuck.  It is nothing more than a pocket chart hanging on a garment rack with wheels, but my students think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Maybe it's the way I present the material...

I introduce rhythmic reading in third grade.  I re-introduce it in fifth grade to help review and solidify information that was previously taught because my fifth-graders are given an end-of-course exam by the district in art, music and PE.  The level of difficulty changes from the pre-reading cards (white ones) to the yellow ones.  I teach them to perform the cards in three ways - a) using speech syllables ("tah" for quarter notes and "ti-ti" for two eighth notes) b) "say and play" which is an aural, visual and kinesthetic experience and c) counting on the numbers (which is the way real musicians do it).

I recently had a class successfully perform all twenty cards without error and the enthusiasm in the room was off-the-charts!  They were the first third grade class to successfully complete the task this year.  They were jumping up and down, screaming and hollering with glee, asking me if they could do it again (so we did it in reverse just for the challenge) and I gave each of them a stamp on the back of their hand as a token of my appreciation for their hard work.  It was a day of rejoicing in the music room!  Matter of fact, their excitement over their success brought me to tears.  It's moments like these that make me show up for work every day. 

Congratulations to the third grade class of Mrs. Smith and Ms. Tillis!!
You were truly a bright spot in my day!!

You Rock!!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Mrs. Snead said...

Isn't it the best thing when students get excited about what we teach? You're awesome!