Friday, October 14, 2011

Fifty Nifty United States

Today was flag-raising at Chets Creek Elementary.  This is the only time we can get the entire student body and our faculty all in the same place at the same time.  The ceremony usually includes our safety patrols, my principal and me.  I am in charge of running the sound and playing the pre-show and exit music.  Today, however, I thought it would be fun to include one of my classes performing a song.

At the beginning of the year, Mrs. Rossignol asked me to teach "Fifty Nifty United States" to all third grade students hoping that it would support their curriculum, help them learn the names of our 50 states and also provide us with a performance piece for their third grade musical in the spring.  Miss Lipsky's class embraced this song and ran with it!

Mrs. Tamburrino with Miss Lipsky's class

The song is listed in the fifth grade "Music Connection" textbook, but they didn't seem to mind that it was two grade levels ahead of them.  I divided the song into three sections because it's wordy and the tempo is rather upbeat.  Sometimes it takes four rehearsals to master it, but this class did it in three.  I saw no reason not to showcase their efforts, so I cleared the performance today with my principal and let them do their thing.  Enjoy!!


I heartily congratulate them on their efforts!!  My sister, Denise, would be very proud!!

Until next time...

2 comments:

helena68 said...

Singing right along. Beautiful performance. Helena

Suzanne said...

I learned this song in Elementary School and it was part of our school play, too. As we listened to Miss Lipsky's class today, you could hear some of the other teachers, including myself, singing along. I'm so glad that the third grade students are being given this opportunity, it is something that will stay with them forever. Can't wait until play time, I hope it's the best play yet!