Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving, Ya'll

It's Thanksgiving Day, 2014.  My eyes popped open at 3:00 a.m.  It would be hours before I needed to start cooking.  What was I to do?

Well....I decided to grade papers.  I brought a crate full of music theory books home, several concert reflections my Honors students had written and Christmas music on which my beginning piano students had to "write in the counts, letter names and fingering numbers" so we could learn it more quickly upon our return.

Only one problem...my eldest son is home from college and is sleeping in one room, my youngest son has the flu and is crashed out on the sofa in the living room, my husband is snoring in our bedroom and my 91-year old father-in-law has taken up residence in another room.  The only place I could find to work was in the bathroom.  The garage wasn't even a consideration; it's too cold outside this time of year.

It is now 5:47 a.m. and I am very happy to report that my work is done (at least for today).  I wish I were the type that could return to the bed, hunker down under the covers and go back to sleep, but I've never been able to do that.  I was trying to figure out how to make a cup of coffee in the kitchen without waking my sick child in the living room, but haven't figured that out yet either.  Lord knows, I could use one.  It's cold on the bathroom floor and my feet are numb from lack of circulation.  Time to get up, move around and greet the dawn with a grateful heart.  I have life, breath, a job, a family that loves me, a roof over my head, an old car that gets me where I need to go - and lots of sunshine!!

Wishing all my readers a very Happy Thanksgiving.  There is much for which to be thankful today.

Until next time...

No comments: