Monday, June 3, 2013

Flag Retirement 2013

On Friday, May 31, Chets Creek Elementary retired all three flags that had been flying over our school for the past 10 months.  Our flag-retirement ceremony is a solemn occasion.  The principal addresses the audience each year and explains what is about to happen.  The patrols share pertinent information regarding the flag of the United States of America - what it symbolizes, what it represents and why we give it this kind of honor once it has been tattered and torn from the elements outside.  It is a great educational experience for everyone.

My job is to audition singers who will honor our flag by singing the "Star Spangled Banner" during the ceremony and locate a trumpet player who can navigate "TAPS" without issue.  Ordinarily, I go for the "cute factor" and choose little guys (first through third graders) to handle the singing and borrow a trumpet player from one of our high schools to handle the trumpet part.  This year, however, I was fortunate enough to use all of my own students (both past and present).

Ashlei, Conor and Lily - my trio who sang the National Anthem

Tori - a former student, now a 6th grader at my feeder school

I was extremely proud of my students who practiced hard and performed well.  They had been preparing for this ceremony for many weeks and I know their parents were proud of them also.  The weather was fabulous and everything came off without a hitch.  That's a really great day in my world!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Ray said...

The Flag Retirement Ceremony has always touched me, and seeing our students conduct a flawless performance honoring our country, and our flag makes it even more special! Seeing and hearing Tori perform TAPS is one memory I know we will never forget! Thanks for sharing all of your exceptional talent with our community!

Respectfully,
Ray