Friday, September 16, 2011

The Making of a Memory

My PE coach sent me an e-mail asking if she could "borrow" my 5th grade classes for several days last week.  I was told "it's a secret" and then she asked if she could use the music room for rehearsals. 

It seems that she was putting together a Flash Mob dance that was going to take place during our school-wide flag raising ceremony on September 16th and our principal was not to know about it.  She had asked two former students to choreograph the dance to "I've Got the Power!"  All fifth grade students that wanted to participate learned the dance via video presentation in my classroom.  They were told to bring a pair of sunglasses to flag-raising on Friday.  The sunglasses were to enhance the "cool factor" for the dance.

We are a collegial bunch of educators and wholly supported this effort.  The Art teacher and I helped with crowd control and technology support.  Coach Bailey told the kids, "Hey - it's either this or ballroom dancing! Take your pick!!"  They opted for the Flash Mob.

Coach Bailey giving instructions


Learning the dance


It was a Mob, alright!


Free Dance!!

They may not remember their FCAT scores a decade from now, but they will certainly remember the making of this memory.  Bravo, Coach Bailey for thinking outside the box!!

Until next time...

2 comments:

Melanie Holtsman said...

What a fun event that was! Thanks for helping to make it happen!

Mrs. Snead said...

I have to admit...They did a great
job!