Sunday, September 11, 2011

All-State Auditions 2012



In order for any of my students to audition for the All-State Elementary Chorus, I must pay my dues.  They must be paid on time and I must attach myself to the elementary component of my professional organization.  Only then can the audition process begin.

The parent organization is the National Association for Music Education (NAfME).  The Florida Music Educators' Association along with its component affiliations (Florida Vocal Association, Florida Bandmasters Association, Florida Orchestra Association and the Florida Elementary Music Educators' Association) is the hosting organization that provides the All-State experience for our students.

Each January, thousands of music teachers from across the state of Florida converge in Tampa for professional development.  Development opportunities are targeted towards your area of expertise.  There are classes for string teachers, band teachers, chorus teachers and general music teachers.  While we are taking classes, our students are working with clinicians in large ensemble settings preparing for a performance with several hundred other students.  The performances occur at the conclusion of the conference.  The All-State experience is a life-changing experience for its many participants, myself included.

Thirty-five years ago, I auditioned for one of those coveted spots in the chorus.  I auditioned every year beginning in 8th grade and was selected to participate every year through my senior year in high school.  It was a distinction no other kid had in Duval County.  I truly believe I am doing what I do today because my music teachers believed in me and were willing to "pay their dues" and work with me.  I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Last year, I decided it was time to honor my former music teachers.  I selected one student.  I had heard her sing during third-grade musical rehearsals.  She had a bell-like quality to her voice and a good sense of pitch.  My gut told me she would make it.  I contacted her parents and they were very supportive.  We put together an audition CD for her and mailed it by the deadline and then waited six weeks for a response.  She was one of three Duval County Public School students selected for the chorus last year.  She is now singing with the Jacksonville Children's Chorus and is planning to audition for La Villa School of the Arts next year.

Last week, I auditioned three young ladies for the All-State Elementary Chorus.  I put their audition packet in the mail on Thursday.  Now we wait.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till we get the results!!!!!!!!!!! My voice has got much better since I started singing! Last year I was the only one to audition but this year I got two other girls with me and I really hope they make it!at the end of the year i sang the natoinal athem but i thought i couldn't do it but mrs.tamburino was ther to help me! the treble choir is soo much fun! one of the songs that we are singing is Farewell My Love from last year in tampa! I just want to thank Mrs.Tamburino for bringing the voice inside of me out that I thought I never had!Now I love to sing !

From,
Katie Goodroe! ;)