Sunday, January 14, 2018

FMEA 2018 Artistry:Teaching and Performing


FMEA 2018

I recently returned from the Florida Music Educator Association's Professional Development Conference which is held in Tampa, Florida every January.  The theme this year was "Artistry: Teaching and Performing."  It was a special year for me.  It isn't every year that you have both current and former students performing in All-State ensembles all at the same conference. I had FOUR former students and ONE current student perform this weekend.  It was a weekend filled with music-making and I could not have been more proud of each of them!

Thursday, January 11th (7:30 p.m.) - The Stetson University Concert Choir performed for conference attendees and TWO of my former students were in the ensemble!  This is the top auditioned choir at Stetson University.  

The youngest graduated from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts and is a freshman at Stetson.  I taught Amber D. at Chets Creek Elementary School.  [ I could not catch her after the concert to take a picture :(  ]

The eldest was my student his senior year at Duncan U. Fletcher Senior High School, the school where I currently teach.  His name is Jack S.

Jonathan Maerkl (Band/formerly at FHS); Dee Dee Tamburrino (Chorus at FHS)
(Jack played tuba and sang in the chorus)
Currently a performing member of the Stetson Concert Choir
and is graduating in May, 2018 (music major)

Friday, January 12th (6:00 p.m.) - The All-State Men's Chorus performed in the Grand Ballroom of the Marriott Waterside.  My current student, Jack R. spent 18 hours in rehearsal this weekend and countless hours of private study prior to his arrival in Tampa on Wednesday evening.  He was representing Duncan U. Fletcher Senior High School and our choral program at All-State this year. 
Jack R. and Mrs. Tamburrino
All-State Men's Chorus 2018

Grand Ballroom - Mariott Waterside
Tampa, Florida

Saturday, January 13th (9:00 a.m.) - The All-State Treble Chorus performed in the Grand Ballroom of the Marriott Waterside.  This performance received 3 standing ovations!! What an incredible experience for my former elementary student who is now at LaVilla School of the Arts.  She also sings with the Jacksonville Children's Chorus and recently returned from Rome, Italy where she was privileged to sing for Pope Francis!!

Emmie H. 
All-State Treble Chorus 2018

Saturday, January 13th (6:30 p.m.) - The All-State Middle School Band, High School Concert Band and High School Symphonic Band performed at the Tampa Convention Center to a packed house.  I taught this young lady in elementary school as well.  She is currently a student at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts where she plays flute in the band program.

Ashley S. (3rd chair flute)
All-State Concert Band 2018

It was a true blessing for me to take part in FMEA this year and witness the "fruit of my labors" in such a profound way.  I do my best to instill a love of music-making in all of my students and it is very exciting to see so many of them continuing to pursue their musical passion as they matriculate through K-12 education and move on to college.  It is truly a gift for which I am extremely grateful!!

Until next time...

No comments: