Monday, June 5, 2017

FHS Hall of Honor 2017

Mrs. Jane Palmer
Mrs. Dee Dee Tamburrino

Today was a very special day.  I had the privilege of celebrating a master teacher and my mentor with our faculty.  Our lives have been very similar.  She was one of five sisters growing up; I was one of four.  She began her teaching career at the elementary level and moved up to high school, where she remained for fifteen years.  I did the same.  I taught for nine years at the elementary level and am now a high school chorus teacher.  She taught for 35 years; I'm hoping to reach 20!  (I'm a late bloomer!)
 
Jane G. Palmer, formerly the chorus teacher at Duncan U. Fletcher Senior High School (where I am currently teaching) was inducted into our "Hall of Honor" today.  She will receive a plaque to take home and her name will be added to a plaque in our front office.  The PTSA has will also donate a brick in her name at the school.

Jane is a 35-year veteran of Duval County Public Schools.  She retired in June, 2013.  At Fletcher High School, she was the Performing Arts Department Chair, Teacher of the Year and a dedicated musician who instilled a love of choral music in thousands of students.  Her award-winning choirs performed in the Florida Vocal Association's Music Performance Assessments, annually at Disney's Candlelight Processional in EPCOT (Orlando, FL), at the White House in Washington, D.C. and at Carnegie Hall in New York City in 2012.

I have known Jane for many years and it was an honor to celebrate her today.  Without her dedication and support, I would not be where I am today.  Thank you, Jane, for your for your friendship.  I congratulate and celebrate you today!!

Until next time...

No comments: