Saturday, June 20, 2015

Summer Staycation

Cummer Museum and Gardens
Jacksonville, Florida

So I woke up this morning and opened the newspaper.  I spotted an article about the Whitfield Lovell "Deep River" exhibit at our local art museum.  Because of the shootings in Charleston, the museum was not charging an entry fee, so I asked my husband if he would like to join me.  He has been to the Cummer numerous times because he is a visual artist and an elementary art teacher.  At first, he declined.  Then agreed to go if we could extend our visit to include the Riverside Arts Market.  I had never been there, so I agreed.  I had read about the "Deep River" exhibit and wanted to see it.  He was rather cynical about the entire thing, but we went with an open mind and neither of us walked away disappointed.  

As a matter of fact, we were blown away by the flood of emotions we felt as we stood there, immersed in the Lovell exhibit.  Tears were streaming down our faces.  It was incredibly moving.  There were so many parts to the exhibit, but each part featured Lovell's haunting Conte crayon portraits of African Americans who fled from slavery to freedom by crossing the Tennessee River.  The exhibit used sculpture, video, drawing, sound and music to draw you into the experience.  I have never experienced anything like it.  I highly recommend it, especially if you a not a connoisseur of art.  This is art, but it is different and it will move you.  I promise!

If that weren't enough excitement for one morning, I found the most incredible vendor at the Riverside Arts Market.  This woman takes photographs of items all over town - each one representing one letter of the alphabet.  You get to be the artist and put them together to create whatever you wish.  I am a great fan of mosaic and was able to construct this visually engaging piece while standing under the Fuller Warren Bridge.  My husband is going to frame it for me as a "back-to-school" gift in August.  I am in love!!!!!!

I will hang this proudly in my classroom next year!
Soooooooooo excited!!!!!

Until next time...

No comments: