Saturday, September 6, 2014

Off and Running

It is true.  The school year has officially begun.  I worked most of the summer and found myself in teacher trainings during the months of June, July and August.  Most folks think teachers get an 8-week "break" from their daily routine.  Maybe that's true for some, but not for me.  I spent the summer shuttling my boys to and from work and to and from football practice.  I was an assistant swim coach from May through July and celebrated with family during our annual family reunion.  It blew by so quickly, I am still having a difficult time adjusting to the idea that school has officially begun.

I have 116 chorus students this year. We are currently preparing for several things - All-State auditions, the Disney Candlelight Processional audition and our Fall Concert.  Next week we begin our first fundraiser of the year - Enjoy the City coupon books.  The new "Smart Snack" law has put the kabosh on any candy sales during the school day (one of our biggest money-makers!) so we are looking for other ideas to re-build our operating budget.

I am also teaching two sections of Keyboard 1 and one section of World Music this year.  I have 236 students attached to me.  It is a good thing that I am neurotically organized.  If that weren't enough responsibility, I was called upon to mentor a new teacher this year.  Folks must think I am "Super Teacher."  As the Bible says, "To those to whom much is given, much will be required."  God help me.

Several weeks ago, I did a blind audition for soloists to sing the National Anthem at the varsity football games.  Seven singers made the cut and three of them have represented our program very well under the Friday night lights.  I was at the game last night to conduct the singer in the press box.  Just as I sat down in the bleachers to watch the game, the "heavens declared the glory of God" and it began to rain.  I didn't have an umbrella and neither did my sister.  Needless to day, we were soaked to the bone.

Not only did we get soaked, First Coast High
kicked our tails 18-6. 

My sister is such a gracious person and had agreed to help me prepare the materials for the fundraiser which begins on Monday.  Our plan was to go to the game, sit through the first quarter and then go back to the school and stuff envelopes.  We finally closed up shop at 8:30 p.m. and took our soaking-wet selves home for the night.

Life is always an adventure with me.  Stay tuned...

No comments: