Sunday, April 27, 2014

Choral State MPA 2014

Yesterday, I took 23 students, 3 chaperones and a flute player on a chartered bus to Tallahassee to perform at the Florida Vocal Association's Music Performance Assessment.  An overall "Superior" at District was our ticket into the festival yesterday.

I am blessed to have a great bunch of kids this year who show up (even when the odds are stacked against us) and give their best effort.  Although I was down 6 kids and most of my seniors had been up all night at Grad Bash the previous night, we made a strong showing.  Three of my students were also band members and had to march in the Opening of the Beaches Parade today.  My "combo kids" are the most dedicated kids I have ever met!!  Somehow they manage to balance their commitments between band and chorus and do it with a smile on their faces.  They have a strong work ethic that most kids these days just do not possess.

We held our own against some rather stiff competition.  The clinician that worked with the students after we performed was very complimentary.  He approved of my repertoire choices, loved the nuance and musicality in our performance, gave us some good pointers to make it even better and applauded my kids on how well they worked together.  There were no divas in the bunch yesterday!! It was truly a team-effort on everyone's part and I am extremely proud of my singers for what they accomplished as a group.

Our final rating was an overall "Excellent" which was a little less than we had hoped, but knowing what it took to get us there, I was grateful.  It was a pleasure to work with our accompanist as well.  Ms. Oberlin was so gracious to travel to Tallahassee and play for us.  It was my first time working with her and she is such an asset at the keyboard.  We will definitely make music together again!

Rock on, Singing Senators!!  I am so proud of you!!

As we move into the final stretch, I am grateful for the successes we have enjoyed this year.  This group of students will always hold a special place in my heart.

Until next time...

No comments: