Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sad Day at Sandy Hook

How does one respond to what transpired a week ago in Newtown, Connecticut?

While we were enjoying our annual visit with Auntie Claus, terror was visiting a small elementary school up north and we felt it thousands of miles away.  How do you bury your child after such a senseless act of violence and move on? How do you show up for work in an elementary school after the horror you have witnessed? I do not know.

What I do know is that even though we are currently on holiday break, my principal has put out a "call to arms" for all faculty and staff before our return in January.  Emergency plans have been re-tooled and I have a new security assignment as of January 2nd.  I have always felt that our school was a safe place to learn (and work), but who is really to know?

My heart goes out to everyone touched by this tragedy.  I have prayed for the families of those who lost loved ones.  I have prayed for our own safety at work.  I have read information provided to me by my superiors so that I can adequately address this subject with my students, should the need arise.  Although I do not feel equipped to try to make sense of a tragedy of this magnitude, I will do my best to provide comfort and emotional support wherever needed.  My heart aches for students, teachers and administrators who must report for duty knowing that it could happen again at any time and in any place. But for the grace of God, there go I...

Until next time...

No comments: