Friday, June 24, 2011

Waterlogged

As a kid, I spent three summers of my life swimming on the Ponte Vedra Swim Team.  I rode my bike to the pool every day (3 miles roundtrip), swam laps for 1.5 hours and then pedaled back home.  Practice started at 7:00 a.m. and this was a daily occurance throughout the course of the summer.  I learned to swim all four competitive strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke and butterfly) plus two recovery strokes (sidestroke and elementary backstroke) and I won numerous ribbons, medals and trophies along the way.

Fast-forward 38 years.....

I am now a certified Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and am spending my days in the pool teaching swimming lessons.  I currently have students ranging from 3 years of age to adult. 

Working on the "flutter kick"

Learning the "back float"

Swimming through a hula-hoop

The sound of water splashing and the smell of chlorine excite me. I'm sporting my new summer "do" (short and sassy) and enjoying the privilege of working with kids in a completely different way.

Living the dream...

No comments: