Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Little Buddy, Kevin

Today was a first! My little buddy, Kevin, won the privilege of spending the morning with me.  His mom bid on me during our Relay-For-Life fundraiser last month and today was the day he came to collect his reward.  Kevin is a second-grader and I thought it would be fun for him to experience music class with my intermediate students. 

Our day began with Kevin serving as scorekeeper in a game called "Daffy Duck Passes the Buck."  I use this game to review for the MAP test (a district-mandated diagnostic which is given to all second and fifth graders to measure learning gains over the course of the year in Music, Art and PE).  Kevin was a great help to me during this session of our morning together.

"Daffy Duck Passes the Buck" - Scorekeeper

After fifth grade exited the classroom, third grade filed in and we spent the next 50 minutes rehearsing for their upcoming musical entitled, "A Better You, A Better Me."  Kevin was the official sound tech for our rehearsal.  He was in charge of operating the CD player while I played the piano and conducted the musical rehearsal.
Sound Technician


Third Grade Rehearsal

Once third grade left, my fourth grade recorder class came in for their final class of the year.  Again, Kevin assisted me with the CD player and passed out "karate belts" when the students successfully tested out of the blue belt song. 
Recorder Testing

At the conclusion of our morning together, his Mom appeared with lunch for both of us and we had a picnic in the back of my classroom. 
Picnic with Mrs. Tamburrino

Kevin shared a joke with me that I will pass along to you.  "What kind of insects do secret agents like best?"  "Spy-ders."  And thus ended my time with my little buddy, Kevin.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you kept Kevin very busy with lots of fun and creative activities! We loved reading about his adventures with you. He really enjoyed his time with you!! When can we come spend the day with you?
:) Mrs. V and Mrs. W