Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Budget Time in Tallahassee

Each Spring, I am called upon to contact my legislators in Tallahassee, to fight for the rights of students in the State of Florida and to extol the virtures of Arts Education in the lives of my students. 

I believe it is very important that those who have been elected by the people should also be the true voice of the people and speak on behalf of the people that voted them into office in the first place.  Over the past several years, I have written letters, waved signs and attended the "Rally in Tally" - so that my voice could be heard.

Below is a letter I sent to my representative in Tallahassee today.  SB 736 is being debated and voted upon today.  It is yet another unfunded mandate by the State of Florida that I am certain will pass in the House and then make its way to Governor Scott for signature.


Athby Tamburrino

Jacksonville, -

03/16/11 6:11 AM
To the Honorable Lake Ray;


Dear Mr. Ray:

As you spend your day today discussing the attributes of SB 736, I would appreciate it if you would consider the following:

If you are going to vote in favor of this unfunded mandate, somewhere in this legislation it should state that all teachers (art, music, physical education, special education) should have equal access to every student they teach, especially if our pay is going to be tied to their test scores. The core curriculum teachers see them every day, five days a week (at the elementary level). I simply do not have that luxury.

In my school, there are nine 5th grade classes. I see each class 12 times per school year. Out of 180 days of potential contact time with my students, I see them approximately 1.5 days. On the other grade levels there are 7-8 classes which means I will see them up to 14 times per school year (40 to 50 minutes per class, depending on the grade level - approximately 2 days worth of instruction).

What I am being called upon to do is impossible to achieve with the amount of contact time I have with my students. As you debate this bill today, kindly consider a provision that will level the playing field for all teachers across the board. As a music educator, I have benchmarks and standards that I am required to teach. This is rarely factored into the amount of contact time I have with my students and this needs to be addressed as you debate the pros and cons of this bill today. I thank you for being my voice in Tallahassee.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Athby M. Tamburrino
National Board Certified Teacher
Early/Middle Childhood Music
Duval County, Florida

My hope is that our collective voices will be heard in the hallowed halls of Tallahassee during this legislative session and that the children of Florida will be blessed with the high-quality education they deserve.


Until next time...

No comments: