Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Planting Daffodils

As the academic calendar relaxes and my adrenaline pump slows down, my thoughts turn to Spring (even though it is December 21st - Winter Solstice and the shortest day of the year).  I am a sun-bunny at heart and do not tolerate cold temperatures well.  Because my life is extremely hectic during the month of December, I make it a point to rest, read and get out in nature while I am not required to be at school.  The temperature is supposed to be in the low 70s on Thursday and I feel a fishing day coming on...

Today, however, I planted daffodils. 

There was something peaceful about preparing the soil and planting bulbs that were specially cultivated for warmer climates.  It will be months before they peek out from beneath the earth and greet the morning dawn with their bright, yellow flowers - but I am ready.

As I reflect on the previous four months of cultivating creativity in my classroom, I have been tilling the soil, fertilizing it regularly and encouraging growth in the area of musicianship where my students are concerned.  It is hard to believe we are already nearing the mid-point of the school year.  As I look ahead to the new year and realize what must still be accomplished, I fully expect to see "tender shoots of knowledge" and "quality musical experiences" springing forth from my "garden" in the months to come. 

We plant, expecting a harvest.  We teach, expecting learning gains to be realized and a deeper understanding of the content to take hold in each student entrusted to us.  Growing life-long learners is every teachers' expected outcome.

Until next time...

No comments: