Sunday, January 10, 2010

FMEA Conference - Tampa, Florida

As a music educator, I belong to several professional organizations that provide content-specific teacher training for me. These organizations allow me to network with other music educators from across the state of Florida and across the nation. My students always stare at me with quizzical looks when I tell them, "I am going back to school for a few days so that I can become a better teacher." At the elementary level, they do not always understand the concept of "life-long learner" and "once a teacher, always a student."

Currently, I am president of the Duval Elementary Music Teacher organization which provides training for elementary music teachers in our district on teacher planning days throughout the school year. I am an active member in the Florida Elementary Music Educators' Association (a component organization of the Florida Music Educators' Association and Music Educators' National Conference). I am also a member of the Northeast Florida Orff Chapter and served on its Board for two years as Professional Development Facilitator for Duval County teachers.

Each January, FMEA hosts our state conference in Tampa, Florida. Members of the various component organizations (Florida Vocal Association, Florida Bandmasters Association, Florida Orchestra Association) converge in Tampa for four days of continuing education opportunities and hands-on training. Performance groups from around the state share their unique and wonderful music with us. I cannot express how refreshing it is to be an active participant in the audience and not have to concern myself with conducting or troubleshooting the sound system. I can simply sit back and enjoy...

The Disney Main Street Philharmonic performing for us



Kim Rose's session "Imagination + Creativity = Musicianship"
Kim teaches at Wards Creek Elementary in St. Johns County




This is me receiving an award from Karen Bouton, President of FEMEA for achieving National Board Certification. I was one of three teachers in the state of Florida to achieve this honor in 2008-09



This year's conference was entitled -
"Music and the Creative Mind: Wired for Success."



We now have hard data that shows the correlation between the Arts and Academics. Our brains are "wired for success" and students who participate in arts education from their kindergarten years through their high school years are more likely to graduate with their cohort than those who do not. They also score higher on the FCAT in reading, writing and math. Complete data is now available on the FMEA website (www.flmusiced.org)

At our conference, there were numerous opportunities for learning. We could sample music software in the Mac lab, observe master teachers from across the country in various teaching settings; sing, dance, play, perform on world instruments and listen to various genres of music in "live performance" settings from jazz to orchestral music and choral groups to steel pan bands.

World Drumming with Kalani





It is always an uplifting and rejuvenating experience to attend FMEA each year and re-fill my tank. A big "thank you!" goes out to my principal for allowing me to do so.

Until next time...

No comments: