Sunday, October 18, 2009

Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure"

Yesterday, at 9:00 a.m. in 54-degree weather, you would have found my sister and I dressed in matching running gear, surrounded by a sea of pink and waiting for the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" 5K to begin. This race is held each October and proceeds from the race are used to support breast cancer research. We were going to run it last year, but I ended up in the hospital two weeks prior to the race. My doctor would only allow me to walk it, so I never actually got to run it - until yesterday. My goal was twofold - to run the entire race without stopping and to complete the 3.1 mile run in under 45 minutes. I was successful on both counts! My unofficial time was 42:17 and I ran all the way to the finish line where my family was cheering and snapping photos like paparazzi. I couldn't believe it!!
Since I have never been athletic, this was an amazing feat for me. My husband is a former cross-country runner who has been sidelined with an injury for over a year. He was beaming as I crossed the finish line and could hardly believe what he had just witnessed! Maybe next year, we can all run it together!! It was a great day for a run and a great opportunity to take part in a community event that was meaningful and family-oriented. Until next time...

5 comments:

RunninRhonda said...

Great job ladies!! I am so proud of you...no matter the distance, the accomplishment is outstanding!

Betsy McCall said...

WOW! I am so impressed!
Good for you and thanks for supporting the cause.

Kate Richardson said...

Yay!!!! That is so exciting and I am so proud of yall!!!!

Wanda Lankford said...

Dee Dee,
You rock girl! I am so proud of you and your determination! Congratulations on finishing the race! Love ya, Wanda

Anonymous said...

Great job Mrs. Tamburrino that was excellent - Michelle & I were behind you at the race. Michelle and her cousin walked it in 50 minutes and Me, my sister & neice in 1 hour 18. So we are already gearing up for next year.
Wendy Halderman