Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Workshop - Arts Integration Classes at UNF

As you know, I have a music intern this Fall and my official title is "Directing Teacher." My intern also has a Supervising Teacher at the University of North Florida. Her name is Dr. Georgina (Gigi) David. Dr. David is a visiting Professor of Education at UNF and is overseeing several interns at Chets Creek this semester. Dr. David visits four times during the semester to observe Miss Lambros' progress.

Additionally, Dr. David has asked me to present a workshop at the University of North Florida at the end of October. I will be teaching curricular integration to her Arts Integration classes. The students in these classes are non-music majors but must include musical activities in their classroom once they become certified to teach. I have been asked to help them find their singing voices, keep a steady beat, use literacy to teach musical concepts and present culturally diverse songs for use in their classrooms.

This will be my first experience teaching at the university level and I am eagerly looking forward to the opportunity. Check back in a few weeks! I'll let you know how it went!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I have been asked to help them find their singing voices, keep a steady beat, use literacy to teach musical concepts and present culturally diverse songs for use in their classrooms."

Count your blessings that I am not in that class! I have found my voice, and folks want me to lose it again!

Best of luck at UNF. I have never seen a challenge that you could not meet. Well, there was that 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place thing...

Break a leg!

T-Cubed