- Your piece must be in Common Time and in the key of C-Major
- You may only use the pitches C-D-E-F-G
- Your piece must be no more than four measures long
- Your piece must begin on the tonic, move to the dominant by the end of the first line; begin on the dominant and move back to tonic by the end of the second line
- You may use whole notes, half notes, quarter notes and eighth notes (and their corresponding rests)
- You must give your piece a title that reflects the character of the composition
At the conclusion of our class period, I play the "world premier" of their composition on the piano. Some students are paralyzed by this assignment; others take it and run with it. Students who study piano privately are the best-equipped to handle the task.
Nathan performed the piece written by he and Noah
It was entitled, "The Jumping Song"
Until next time...