For three years, I struggled to figure out how to move 800+ titles of choral music out of six broken down filing cabinets that had been in use since the school opened in 1962. That's 54 years' worth of stuff. My classroom is smaller than most choral classrooms, so it was quite a challenge. Then, I had to procure the funding for a filing system that would serve our purposes and fit along a wall in my classroom. I did several internet searches looking for just the right system and then approached my principal.
After negotiating with my principal for 3 years, he finally purchased a new music filing system for me. My choral librarian from last year helped transfer all of the files from the filing cabinets into the new system before she graduated. My choral librarian this year helped me catalogue all of the music in the new system so that the company could create labels for the system and simplify the process of locating music.
I am very happy to report that at 4:20 p.m. today (3 days before school officially opens), we finally finished the project. I am still waiting for the roll-top doors to be installed, but that's another blog post for another day.
Music Filing System
Title, Composer/Arranger, Voicing
Until next time...